Sunday, April 24, 2011

How To: Easter softie project for kids

I wanted to do something crafty with the kids today for Easter so I've decided that we'd make Bunny Softies.
My kids are pretty young so I didn't want to try and do glove bunnies or sock bunnies or something with lots of sewing so I decided to do the pillow-type softies with them.  Here is how we did it.
For the pattern, I found this site useful
http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/1788/1/1/how-to-draw-a-chocolate-easter-bunny.htm
and drew out a simple bunny real big on a sheet of regular printer paper.  We traced the bunny onto some light cotton scrap fabric with a fabric marker.  I turned it over and pinned it to another piece of fabric (wrong sides out).
I sewed along the markings leaving a hole to turn it.  Then I cut around the bunny about 1/2" or so away from the stitching and clipped each of the sharp angles.
Then I turned the bunny inside right and the kids stuffed them.
I had to help the little guy more than my daughter, but that is what is great about this project, it can be modified to just about any level.  I then whipstitched the holes closed and sketched in the eyes that I 'd forgotten when I traced the pattern out.
I gave the kids a box of markers and let them go to town.  We used washable markers so the artwork won't hold up if they have to be washed, but I also don't have ruined clothes to throw out either.  If you are doing this with older kids, you can use permanent markers or even paint!


I tied bows around their necks and sewed a cotton ball to their bums.  Voila!

1 comment: