Thursday, April 23, 2015

Dreaming and planning for the future

I have been dreaming about having my own sewing studio for years. I am not sure exactly why having my own dedicated space is so important, but it is. It isn't about making money (because if it were... I can think of several much more lucrative options!) it is more about creating a physical place to call my own and share my love of stitches. I've always wanted to teach people how to sew. I would also love to have a shop. When I described the kind of shop I wanted to my husband, he said "oh, like a craft show, but in a store". YES! Exactly. I want to have the selection and style of handmade items but available on shelves all the time. Where everyone can have access.  I live in a tourist destination with a growing artsy downtown area that would be perfect for this sort of thing. Beautiful shop in the front, space to teach sewing classes in the back. However, as I just mentioned, I live in a tourist destination.... therefore, retail space in that downtown area is at a premium. Crafting isn't a lucrative career choice so those two things just don't match up.
Yet.
I've been putting together a plan to have my dream but it is at least a year and a half away, but a more realistic goal would be 3 years. For now, I plan to start with the sewing studio and build my classes and clientele until I can afford to move into a larger storefront location. I am on the hunt for the perfect location for a sewing school, but for now... I will be brushing up my teaching skills around town at any place that will allow me some space. 
Stay tuned, dreams will be coming true soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment